Software Developers, Applications
Develop, create, and modify general computer applications software or specialized utility programs. Analyze user needs and develop software solutions. Design software or customize software for client use with the aim of optimizing operational efficiency. May analyze and design databases within an application area, working individually or coordinating database development as part of a team. May supervise computer programmers.Number of Jobs in 2010: 1,389
Number of Jobs in 2020: 1,575
Yearly Job Growth Rate: 13.4
Annual Openings: 33
Entry Wage: $27.08
Median Wage: $35.04
Education Requirement: Bachelor's degree
Learn more about this job
- Modify existing software to correct errors, allow it to adapt to new hardware, or to improve its performance.
- Develop and direct software system testing and validation procedures, programming, and documentation.
- Confer with systems analysts, engineers, programmers and others to design system and to obtain information on project limitations and capabilities, performance requirements and interfaces.
- Analyze user needs and software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints.
- Design, develop and modify software systems, using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcome and consequences of design.
- Store, retrieve, and manipulate data for analysis of system capabilities and requirements.
- Consult with customers about software system design and maintenance.
- Supervise the work of programmers, technologists and technicians and other engineering and scientific personnel.
- Coordinate software system installation and monitor equipment functioning to ensure specifications are met.
- Obtain and evaluate information on factors such as reporting formats required, costs, and security needs to determine hardware configuration.
- Determine system performance standards.
- Train users to use new or modified equipment.
- Specify power supply requirements and configuration.
- Recommend purchase of equipment to control dust, temperature, and humidity in area of system installation.
- Analyze information to determine, recommend, and plan computer specifications and layouts, and peripheral equipment modifications.
Information Technology Associate at Kaplan University
Information Technology Bachelor at Saint Josephs College Online
Information Technology Master at Kaplan University
Information Technology - Applied Technology Bachelor at Kaplan University
Information Technology - Information Systems Bachelor at Kaplan University
Indivduals currently working as Software Developers, Applications can easily transition into any of the occupations lisated below.
- Computer Systems Analysts*
- Software Developers, Systems Software
- Software Quality Assurance Engineers and Testers
- Database Administrators
- Computer Programmers
- Computer Systems Engineers/Architects
- Computer Network Architects
- Web Developers
- Network and Computer Systems Administrators*
- Information Security Analysts
* The occupation mentioned is in demand in the state of Maine, and is projected to employ new workers each year.
Occupational data obtained from the Maine Department of Labor and O*NET
Related Maine Educational Programs are determined from CIP codes entered for the programs, which are then correlated to O*NET SOC Codes for each occupation via the 2010 CIP to SOC Crosswalk.
Last updated on January 29, 2013